PAI, a global organization that champions policies that ensure every woman has quality reproductive health care is seeking a Communications Consultant, Global Gag Rule Project (Asia).
PAI is the lead organization documenting the harmful effects of the Global Gag Rule, an executive branch policy imposed by the Trump-Pence administration in January 2017. PAI has published several case studies on the policy and continues to provide guidance to overseas partners to help them navigate and mitigate the Global Gag Rule’s effects. PAI has just launched a comprehensive initiative to support strategic communications and media engagement in service of mitigating the effects of the Global Gag Rule outside of the United States. The Communications Consultant, Global Gag Rule Project (Asia) would support these efforts.
The Communications Consultant, Global Gag Rule Project (Asia) will serve as a regional media contact for PAI and a select group of partners in Asia. The consultant will provide communications technical assistance to partners in the region, including media training and publications support. S/he will support partners in creating media strategies to increase high quality coverage of the impact of the Global Gag Rule in the region. S/he will coordinate activities with the Senior International Advocacy Associate, Global Gag Rule Project to disseminate resources on the Global Gag Rule and to connect regional partners and journalists.
- Motivated and proactive communications professional with at least six years of full-time media experience in Asia, particularly Southeast Asia.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing or related field required.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills are essential.
- Knowledge of sexual and reproductive health and related issues preferred
- Understanding of U.S. legislative process and knowledge of U.S. global health assistance policies preferred.
- Existing relationships with reporters covering sexual and reproductive health and global health preferred
- Team player with a sense of humor, collaboration and creativity.
- Consultant based in Asia preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct outreach to and respond to requests from media to increase partner visibility
- Develop and disseminate Global Gag Rule resources for regional partners and journalists
- Train partners on effective media engagement to advance advocacy objectives
- Assist partners in the creation of media strategies around key moments, advocacy milestones, events, and new products as identified by PAI partners
- Write press releases, advisories and other media-related content as needed
- Edit PAI and partner collateral materials to ensure appropriate content and messaging around the Global Gag Rule
- Support partner visibility by developing talking points on key issues and preparing partners for media opportunities.
- Monitoring and analysis:
o Monitor news and trends related to the Global Gag Rule. o Track media hits • Other duties as assigned
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to [email protected]