Black people are quickly labeled racist any time we raise our voice against white supremacy. It is racism fighting back. It is meant to silence us. We should not openly express what we feel and know. As Black people we should not own our experiences and history. No. We are instead supposed to become complicit in our oppression by attributing our suffering to everything else except white supremacy.
It is an easy insult
Black people questioning our oppression by White people are racist
We should not speak about our oppression
We are not supposed to accuse anyone
Or we will be labeled racist
By the racists themselves
We are supposed to be silent
To suffer in silence
To endure our suffering only as dictated by our enemy
In a way that does not annoy our oppressor
We are supposed to be nice to our enemy
Or they will call us racist
It’s a threat
For how long?
They talk of post-racism
We are supposed to be blind to colour
We who live with White Supremacy
We who are the longest survivors of racism
We know colour
We are Black people
Not White people
We Black people cannot be racist
We have never been racist
Racism is hatred of Black people by White people
Ok, tell me: How and where have White people suffered racism?
We were enslaved by White people because we are Black
We never enslaved any White people
We were colonised by White people because we are Black
We never colonised any White people
Our lands, minerals, waters, fishes are stolen by White people
Because we are Black
We never stole anything from White people
That’s our history
That’s the root of Black rage
A just rage!
* Henry Makori is an editor with Pambazuka News.
* THE VIEWS OF THE ABOVE ARTICLE ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF THE PAMBAZUKA NEWS EDITORIAL TEAM
* BROUGHT TO YOU BY PAMBAZUKA NEWS
* Please do not take Pambazuka for granted! Become a Friend of Pambazuka and make a donation NOW to help keep Pambazuka FREE and INDEPENDENT!
* Please send comments to [email=[email protected]]editor[at]pambazuka[dot]org[/email] or comment online at Pambazuka News.
- Log in to post comments
- 3596 reads