The Head of Fundraising will be working closely with the ABN Secretariat to secure funding to enable the continuing work of ABN in accompanying African communities to rebuild their resilience against climate change and other external challenges.
The African Biodiversity Network (ABN) works with partners across Africa to support communities implement processes that enhance their lives and protect the ecosystems in which they live. As a network ABN, builds capacity of its partners so that they can work effectively with the communities. ABN does this through organizing training events, exchange programmes and re-granting/micro-project financing. The Head of Fundraising will be working closely with the ABN Secretariat to secure funding to enable the continuing work of ABN in accompanying African communities to rebuild their resilience against climate change and other external challenges. The position is responsible for all fundraising activity, conducted on behalf of the organization.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Institutional and trust fundraising
• Take lead in development and implementation a three-year fundraising strategy
• Research and monitor the funding context; be alert to the trends and dynamics including new and innovative forms of funding in the sector.
• Develop and diversify collaborative approaches with partners and allies to secure funding.
• Identify potential new institutional, trust and foundation fundraising opportunities for ABN and its partners.
• Secure grants from institutional, trust and foundation funders, including through joint applications with global partners.
• Represent ABN at events to promote ABN’s work and develop new donor relationships.
• Together with the Head of Communications, organize occasional profile- raising events for ABN.
Donor liaison and grant management
• Keep up to date with donor policies, application and reporting processes.
• Manage relations with potential and existing funders, including provision of relevant news and information, invitations to events and meetings with partners.
• Update the existing ABN M&E framework
• Ensure compliance with all donor agreements and contractual requirements.
• Work with partners to develop and implement monitoring and evaluation systems, including baseline studies and data collection systems.
• Work with partners to draft donor reports (narrative and financial) and on external evaluations, ensuring that all reports are submitted on time.
• Contribute to the strategic budget oversight and management of the organisation working with the Finance and Administration Manager (FAM).
• In liaison with the FAM, develop an ABN Trust Micro-project mechanism to support the work of partners
• Participate actively in the collective planning and assessment of ABN’s overall programme and organizational development.
• Support partners to build their fundraising and grant management capacity, including development of fundraising strategies.
• In liaison with the Finance and Administration Manager (FAM), develop quality control mechanisms across the network for both narrative and financial reporting of activities and expenditure
• Enhance the participation of ABN Steering Committee in resource mobilization for ABN Trust.
• Together with FAM and with support of the General Coordinator, develop and propose to ABN Trustees an innovative investment plan for the ABN Trust.
All experience and qualities are essential unless otherwise stated:
• At least two years of fundraising experience, with a strong preference for having fundraised for either an environmental or networking organisation.
• Experience of developing multi-year fundraising strategies.
• Knowledge of and interest in innovative and new forms of funding in the sector.
• Proven experience of writing successful funding proposals, including logical frameworks, to a wide range of donors including the EC and other government and multilateral bodies, international NGOs, trusts and foundations, including development of project budgets.
• Experience of working with a wide range of donors, both in-country (e.g. EC delegations) and overseas.
• Experience in supporting partners to build their fundraising capacities.
• Experience of managing small and large funding contracts (e.g. EC, Norad) including delivery of high quality narrative and financial reports.
• Experience of researching new donors for Africa development NGOs
• Experience of working overseas (preferable)
• Degree or professional qualification, most likely in Development Studies or Social Sciences (preferably also a post-graduate qualification in Development,
• International Relations or similar).
• Strong knowledge of the international donor landscape, funding trends and opportunities.
• Excellent written and spoken English to engage effectively with a wide range of audiences
• Able to work well in a team, including with people from a range of cultural, social, ethnic backgrounds and with different skills, and willingness to learn and adapt to ABN’s values and approach.
• Able to develop your own workplan, set priorities and work under pressure or when faced with competing demands.
• Excellent presentation and communication skills to represent ABN at a senior level
• Computer literate and able to work in MS Suite and Excel environment.
• Able to analyse financial information, develop budgets and monitor costs.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your written application and resume by email to: [email][email protected]
Due to the urgency to fill this position, applications will be reviewed and shortlisted as they are received.
Deadline for applications is Friday, 22nd February 2013.